ABIGAIL WASHBURN: BUILDING US-CHINA RELATIONS … BY BANJO (00:00 – 06:34)
Before you watch
- What is public diplomacy?
- On the internet, find some examples of the US public diplomacy in China and China’s public diplomacy in the US.
While you watch
Listen to Abigail Washburn’s talk to answer the question:
What steps in Abigail Washburn’s life led her to building US-China relations by singing?
In your answer, make use of the following expressions:
- to improve U.S.-China relations through top-down policy changes and judicial system reforms
- to be obsessed with the mammoth richness and history of Chinese culture
- the power of music to connect cultures
- everybody has got a story
- to roar with delight
- American selves, Chinese selves
- to be mortals sitting together
After you watch
Discuss in pairs:
- What does Abigail mean when she says that ‘U.S.- China relations don’t need another lawyer’? Do you think public diplomacy can be more effective than traditional diplomacy?
- What makes Abigail’s speech so moving?