Photojournalist James Nachtwey is considered by many to be the greatest war photographer of recent decades. He has covered conflicts and major social issues in more than 30 countries.
I Watch the presentation. In what way does documentary photography serve the interests of society?
II Watch the presentation once again and answer the questions:
1. How does James Nachtwey feel about giving a public talk? Why?
2. What events and ideas motivated James to become a documentary photographer?
3. What events are captured in the photographs shown during the presentation?
III Discuss in pairs:
Expand on the following statements made by James Nachtwey:
- Documentary photography has the ability to interpret events from their point of view. It gives a voice to those who otherwise would not have a voice. And as a reaction, it stimulates public opinion and gives impetus to public debate, thereby preventing the interested parties from totally controlling the agenda, much as they would like to.
- The press is certainly a business, and in order to survive it must be a successful business, but the right balance must be found between marketing considerations and journalistic responsibility.