Before you read
I. Think over the following questions
- What do you know about the authors of the text? What is their contribution to the theory of international relations? Have you read anything by these authors before? (Joseph S. Nye Jr, Robert Owen Keohane)
- Skim the text very quickly and say who it is intended for.
- What is the register of the text?
II. Do some Internet research and look up the information on the following:
- global interactions
While you read
Read the text carefully, pencil in hand and
- find the following words in the text; try to guess their meanings using the context
autonomous/ quasi-autonomous (adj)
- find Russian equivalents of the words above
- match the words from the list with their less formal synonyms
- match the collocations from the text:
|to impinge on||relations|
|precursor of||the phenomenon|
Read the text again and elucidate on the following notions:
After you read
I. Answer the following questions:
- What four major types are of global interaction are mentioned in the chapter?
II. Summarise the ideas of the chapter. Assess the text critically according to the following criteria:
- novelty (have you learned anything new?)
- relevance (is this information relevant? Will it be of any use in your own research paper?)
- complexity (was it hard to grasp the main ideas of the text?)