Episode 6 (37:37-51:00)
Before you watch
1. Study the following words and phrases:
Vermin (plural) – wild animals or birds that destroy plants or food
Backwaters – a place that is away from the places where most things happen, and is therefore not affected by events, progress, new ideas
To keep the plate spinning – to keep a number of different activities in progress
2. Study the information on the following:
Catherine Arnold, Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Mongolia 2015-2018 OBE
OBE – Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
While you watch
Answer the following questions:
- According to Sir Simon, why is it sometimes easier to achieve great results having a small resource?
- What is the number of staff working in the British Embassy in Ulan Bator, Mongolia?
- What assignments did Catherine Arnold have before being appointed Ambassador to Mongolia?
- Why is Mongolia an important potential trading partner for the UK?
- What does the Cummins company produce and where is its UK based plant located?
- Why is the contribution of the British Embassy in concluding important deals very often underestimated?
- What causes pollution in Mongolia?
- How does the UK based company Cambridge Masks propose to remedy the problem of pollution in Ulan Bator?
- Why do so few Mongolians wear pollution masks?
- What are the points to be discussed with the President of Mongolia?
After you watch
Discuss the following:
- How important are personal relations in diplomacy? Can you give examples when good interpersonal relations contributed to overcoming political differences?
- What is your take on the pollution masks initiative? Is it about helping fight pollution or rather making benefit and taking advantage?