ABIGAIL WASHBURN: BUILDING US-CHINA RELATIONS … BY BANJO (00:00 – 06:34)
Before you watch
What is public diplomacy? Do you think it can be more effective than traditional diplomacy?
While you watch
While watching, pay attention to the following words and expressions in context. Use them in your answers to the questions below and discussion.
to be completely obsessed with the mammoth richness of Chinese culture
to collaborate with inspirational musicians
to connect cultures/hearts
our American/Chinese selves
Answer the following questions:
1. What was Abigail’s initial plan for her education and future career?
2. Why was Abigail impressed by Doc Watson’s singing?
3. How does the American and Chinese audience react to Abigail’s Chinese songs?
After you watch
Discuss in pairs:
1. What does Abigail mean when she says that ‘U.S.- China relations don’t need another lawyer’? Think about possible ways of improving international relations besides diplomacy.
2. What linguistic devices and oratory techniques make Abigail’s speech so moving?