Episode 6 (44:35-52:28)
Before you watch
1. Study the following words and phrases
Dressing-down – an occasion when somebody speaks angrily to a person because they have done something wrong
To expel diplomats – to force diplomats to leave the country
Accredited to the Embassy – with official permission
Short of breaking the diplomatic relations – without breaking the diplomatic relations
To up the stakes — to increase the prize or reward in a competition
To bring to the spotlight – to give more attention
To hold someone accountable – to hold someone responsible for their actions and decisions and demand an explanation
While you watch
Watch the episode and answer the following questions
1. How many Russian diplomats were expelled following the Skripal case?
2. What did Stephen Hickey recommend doing by way of the response to the alleged Russian attack?
3. When Jonathan Allen makes a remark about being aware of the country they are dealing with, what exactly does he mean? Can you infer it from his words?
4. How many countries supported Britain’ accusations of Russia?
After you watch
Discuss the following issues
- Sir Simon claims that the Security Council meeting in the wake of the Skripals case was a defeat of Russia. Can you agree with this statement? Be ready to prove your point?
- How strong was Britain’s position?
- Do you know if there are any updates on the investigation?
- After such a drastic turn for the worse in the relations between Russia and the UK, can you envisage any warming in the near future?