JONAS GAHR STØRE : IN DEFENSE OF DIALOGUE (00:00 – 05.33)
Before you watch
Jonas Gahr Støre is the Norwegian Foreign Minister, charged with working for Norway’s interests internationally.
intrastate — existing or occurring within a state
interstate — connecting, or existing between two or more states
While you watch
Identify the message of the talk (in one sentence).
While watching, pay attention to the following words and expressions in context. Use them in your answers to the questions below and discussion.
deficit of political dialogue
to feel reluctance to do something
conceptually and politically dangerous
to profoundly disagree
After you watch
- Answer the following questions:
1. What kind of conflicts are diplomats best trained to deal with?
2. What does the diagram on the slide illustrate?
3. Does traditional diplomacy offer a solution to dealing with intrastate conflicts? Why?
4. How has the situation in Afghanistan changed since the military intervention more than 10 years ago?
5. Why does the Minister mention the Red Cross?
- Comment on the quotation “You don’t make peace with your friends, you make peace with your enemies.” Why does Jonas Gahr Støre say that it is hard, but necessary?